San Miguel Frequently Asked Questions Expat and immigrant English language resources and community for San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico. Visitors to this site may browse. Register or subscribe to receive the optional daily email digest. Registration is also required to post or vote in polls.
We have just a few rules to keep things working smoothly. These rules may be changed from time to time.
1. Be nice. You can disagree with others but avoid personal attacks. Be truthful and also avoid being insulting or demeaning. For more on that see: Getting Sued for Defamation in Mexico. If you want to convey negatives, please be factual and descriptive: "It took an hour to get our food" is better than "service was slow" (what does slow mean to you?) is better than "service was bad" (why was it bad?) is better than "that restaurant is bad" (why do you think it was bad?).
2. Stay on topic. In a discussion about restaurants don't add a comment about mosquitos. Unless it is relevant. Otherwise find a relevant discussion or start a new one.
3. No politics. The Mexican Constitution says "Foreigners may not in any way participate in the political affairs of the country." (See Articles 9 and 33 of the Mexican Constitution). See Should expats in Mexico get involved in political and civil matters? And politics north of the border is not relevant to SMA or a slippery slope to Mexican politics.
4. Use language and content appropriate for a family website.
5. Yes, you may post about and promote your charity, business, service, or creations. Don't spam us with repeated postings every day. If you post about a business and are affiliated with that business or with a competitor make that clear.
6. Moderators have the right to enforce these rules at their discretion. They may also move posts to a different category, delete posts, limit or ban users.
To report a post that you think breaks the rules please click the flag icon at the bottom of the comment. You will only have the flag option after you have posted a number of times. If that is not an option please message @Glenn Wilson.
You can also contact us via email at adminatsmafaqdotcom.